Most wedding websites recommend budgeting the most amount of money to things that are most important to the couple. We budgeted a lot of money to photography because that was really important to me. When I was coming up with our wedding budget, I knew that flowers weren't that important to me and I didn't want to spend much money in that category. I had seen paper flowers on Pinterest, so I decided to give it a try to save money.
My bestie, Melissa, and I spent one weekend in September making about 60 flowers, which was 8 months before the wedding. Since I started on this project so far in advance, I had plenty of time to finish.
I made paper flowers for all 5 bouquets. I think I included 15-20 flowers in the bridesmaids bouquets and 25-30 in my bouquet.
For the white, green, and blue flowers, I used the anemone template from this Elli blog tutorial, but I didn't curl the petals as much as the tutorial. I used a scrapbook circle punch for the centers of the flowers. For the light pink and green ranunculus flower, I used another Elli tutorial. For the vellum flowers, I used the template from another Elli tutorial. To attach the stems, I punched out a small 1/2" circle, stuck floral wire through the circle and hot glued, then I hot glued the circle to the underneath of the flower (see centerpiece photo for an example). To make the bouquet, I used a zip tie to attach the stems together, and then I wrapped ribbon around the wire stems.
Sam made all the boutonnieres using this Elli tutorial. The little blue flower was purchased from Hobby Lobby.
I made about 60 flowers to use for centerpieces. This photo shows the underside of the flower where I attached the stem.
For our ceremony backdrop, I made a paper flower garland from the Elli tutorial.
I mentioned last week that Sam's family helped make paper flowers and this is what they were helping with! Such a huge help!
I made 18 floral strands and attached them to a 6' bamboo pole purchased from Hobby Lobby. I spray painted it gold. Sam drilled holes in the ends of the bamboo and tied fishing line through the holes so that we could hang it.
The tutorial says to thread the flowers onto the baker's twine with an embroidery needle, but they didn't actually stay in place so I hot glued the center of each flower.
All the paper I used was purchased from Hobby Lobby.
I spent about $37 on the paper to make the flowers for the bouquets, boutonnieres, centerpieces, and backdrop.
All photos in this post were taken by White Rabbit Studios.
Other Wedding Wednesday posts:
As usual, I'm joining Wedding Wednesday link-up: